Wednesday, January 16, 2013

life changing news

Since this is my blog and I can write about anything I want, I am going to do just that today. Last week the family and I made the 2 hour trek down to see my Rheumatologist. YUCK! (I like my Dr a lot, way better then the last one, but living in the sticks stinks sometimes) and the good news is that she said my Rheumatoid is pretty mild right now. Woo hoo! However, as she is washing her hands she looks over her shoulder and says "Oh I looked at your blood tests and you have Celiac  "WHA???????

Really? You had to follow up good news with that bomb? Grrr. So now I have not one but TWO auto-immune disorders. Fabulous  For those of you who don't know celiac or not being able to eat gluten is NOT a food allergy, it's an auto-immune disorder.

So now I am in the process of tracking down foods that don't contain wheat, recipes that don't require flour, pasta, or other wheat containing ingredients. If you have never read the labels on your food, you should. You will flip out when you realize how wheat you consume on a daily basis.This is no small task, cutting gluten out of your diet is a big undertaking and it is NOT a fad diet. People are gluten free because their bodies can't process gluten, anyone who uses it as a way to loose weight is misinformed.

So now any recipes that i post will be gluten-free, but it is really easy to change them back. It's way harder to take a gluten containing recipe and make it gluten free because you end up using various types of flour trying to get what ever you are making to taste right and have the right texture.

For more information on Celiac Disease got to http://www.celiac.org/index.php

No comments:

Post a Comment